WINTERIZING YOUR HOME
Each fall you should perform the following checks to ensure your home
is prepared for the onset of cold weather.
- Furnace: Check or replace filters and Cycle the furnace to be
sure it operates.
- Plumbing: Drain water from exterior faucets and pipes.
- Disconnect hoses from exterior faucets.
- Windows & Doors: Check sashes and frames, repair or replace
weather stripping and caulking.
- Fireplace: Make sure damper works and chimney draws. Check and clean
flue if necessary.
- Gutters & Downspouts: Check for and remove leaves and other debris
that might cause clogs.
- Sashes and Doors: If insulated glass fogs, replacement may be necessary.
- Fill settled areas and depressions around the foundation to maintain
proper slope for drainage.
- Asphalt or concrete driveway - treat as necessary, repairing cracks.